Emídio Navarro Secondary School in Viseu is one of the group of school buildings for secondary and/or technical education built in the period between 1936 and 1968.
The school complex is made up of several bodies interlinked by walkways that guarantee sheltered access to all the school’s spaces, and includes a main body which has now been complemented by a new building, an independent body, an indoor sports hall, the former mansion house and the exterior spaces that now feature outdoor games fields.
The main building houses the school administration and management and teachers’ meeting spaces. Attached to this on the east side, another body houses the classrooms. Continuing on from this body is a new building that houses the laboratories and ICT rooms.
To the north are the workshops and complementary classrooms/spaces, the multipurpose hall (which also functions as a gymnasium, with a double hall) and the changing/shower rooms, which have easy access to the outdoors sports and gymnastics spaces. This body also houses the New Opportunities Centre and the canteen.
Casa do Arco, an 18th/19th century mansion, houses the school library, a multipurpose hall, the knowledge and memory space and the school support team. These spaces also benefit from ease of access from outside the school, thus boosting the relationship with the surrounding community.
The school grounds, in which the large cedar tree is the stand-out feature, are demarcated by the built complex, which also limits them considerably. They are characterised by green, tree-covered spaces and paved areas that include facilities for the practice of sports. One such facility has roof coverage.