This school opened in 1985 under the name Canidelo Secondary School. In the 1996/97 school year it chose the historic figure of Inês de Castro as its patron, given that “according to Montalvão Machado, King Pedro and Lady Inês lived at Canidelo Palace from early 1352 to the end of 1353”.
The intervention in Inês de Castro Secondary School was based on the construction of new buildings to house the library, auditorium, teachers’ work and break spaces, school administration zone and laboratories. A new entrance to the school was also added, which, thanks to the new location and configuration, functions as a new centrality and interlinking hub between the new buildings and the remodelled existing buildings, thus allowing for perfect functioning of the school facilities based on a coherent logic of circulation within the complex.
The existing buildings were remodelled, guaranteeing compliance with the latest standards in terms of comfort, safety and accessibility.
A new gymnasium was also built, including support facilities (shower/changing rooms and support spaces).
The intervention also included the remodelling of the school grounds and separation between the pedestrian access zones and automobile access and parking zones.