Tomaz Pelayo Secondary School belongs to the second period of school construction in Portugal. It was opened in 1959.
The intervention was characterised by the remodelling of the existing facilities and the construction of new buildings, guaranteeing compliance with modern-day requirements in terms of comfort, safety and accessibility.
The main entrance was moved to a more central location, so as to better articulate the circulation routes. The new entrance body thus emerges between two pre-existing buildings, advancing towards the street and creating the access directly from it.
The new classroom block re-dimensioned the exterior space, guaranteeing continuity between the adjacent exterior areas. The wide central distribution gallery interlinks the various blocks and patios.
The intervention in this school also included the construction of a new covered games field and the remodelling of the school’s grounds/exterior spaces.