What is now Carlos Amarante Secondary School has its origins in the Industrial Drawing School established by royal decree on 11 December 1884. The former industrial school took on its current name of Carlos Amarante Secondary School in 1975 after unification of the secondary school system.
The intervention was characterised by the construction of two new buildings: one which houses the new school entrance and the administrative offices, ICT rooms and science laboratories; and other to house the pupils’ social spaces such as the canteen, snack bar and school shop. Due to its location and configuration, the new school entrance defines a new axis of interconnection between the new buildings and the existing buildings, thus allowing for the perfect functioning of the school facilities based on a coherent logic of circulation within the complex.
The existing buildings were remodelled, bringing them in line with current requirements in terms of comfort, safety and accessibility.
The school’s exterior spaces/grounds were remodelled with a view to separating pedestrian zones and automobile access and parking zones.